Thursday, February 11, 2016

Go Ahead....

                                  Happy Thursday OCS fans! 

My younger brother was a volunteer firefighter for years and although he doesn't do it at the moment, I still think of him every time I see anything with a firefighter on it. 

My post for this week features an older High Hopes stamp called Firefighter Dragon. I have a mini Minc and I know you can use die cuts and run them through to add foil but I wanted to see if you could do the same with something run through an embossing folder....I will share my thoughts/experiences  on that later in the post. 

For now, let me introduce you to Firefighter Dragon!

                                                         Donna




Inside 


Side View


Firefighter Dragon is coloured with alcohol markers and I used a stitched rectangle die to cut out around him. I used some holographic foil on a diamond plate embossing folder, some paper from Authentic and finished off my card with some black gumdrops. The sentiments on the front and inside are from High Hopes as well. The card pattern is from an old issue of Card Maker.

I mentioned at the beginning of my post I would share some thoughts on using an embossed image in the mini Minc to add foil.

I used Heidi Swapp toner paper to put in the embossing folder and it did crack in a few spots as it is quite thin but the foil covered them completely. The foil didn't adhere 100% around the raised "diamonds" - it leaves a slight black outline but for this card, I wanted a more masculine, distressed feel so I was okay with that. The foil on the rest of the paper stuck beautifully. 

Running the toner paper through an embossing folder does make it very weak so I broke a few photo corners before getting them on the card. 
So I have come to the conclusion for a rugged, distressed feel to a foiled piece for a card absolutely I would do it again but for something more elegant not necessarily, but I had to try it. I think I will try it again but this time I will try putting the folder through on a lighter pressure so the raised portions aren't as high and see what happens...........stay tuned.........

Card Recipe
Stamps: Firefighter Dragon (S198), Go Ahead...(G303) and Bold Happy Birthday (F087) - High Hopes Rubber Stamps 
Patterned Paper: Tidings - Authentique
Silver Gel Pen 
Mini Minc - Heidi Swapp
Toner paper - Heidi Swapp 
Holographic Foil - Heidi Swapp 
Cupid Gumdrops - Your Next Stamp
Stitched Rectangle Dies - Your Next Stamp
Diamond Plate Embossing Folder - Darice

Spectrum Noir Markers: CG1 CG2 DG2 DG4 CR7 CR11 DR7 1G1 1G4 1G7 TN3 TN5 TN6 TN7 TB2 TB4 TN1 TN2 



It's the beginning of a new month which means a new challenge here at OCS. 
February's challenge is Anything Goes, (except digital stamps). Follow this link to come and add your projects. We can't wait to see what you create.


Thanks for stopping by! Have a fantastic day! 



1 comment:

  1. I agree - the distressed Minc look is perfect for your card! I love that you tried that!! Sweet card, Donna :o)

    ReplyDelete